The initial phase of site clearing and demolition work at Brentford FC’s Community Stadium site is progressing on schedule. The former stable block has now been almost completely demolished and work is underway to salvage and clean the bricks.
The Brentford Community Stadium project agreed to salvage bricks from the stable block as part of its commitments to the London Borough of Hounslow. Following a meeting with local historian, Andrew Ross, on site at Lionel Road South, the contractors have now also been asked to try to save other historical features from the building including the window frames and the original pulley system which would have been used to hoist items for storage on the upper floor.
The stable block was constructed around 1870, during a time when horses played a vital role in the railways to transport goods and supplies to and from stations.
Brian Burgess, Project Director, said:
“Brentford FC is rightly proud of its history and heritage. The Club was founded in 1889, just a stone’s throw away from the site at Lionel Road South which is one of the attractions of this location. It’s important that we continue to build on this heritage and our local connections at the new stadium and we look forward to discussing with stakeholders in more detail how we can do this as the project progresses.”
Andrew Dakers, Chief Executive, West London Business, added:
“It is fantastic news that Brentford FC have delivered on the commitment to save and clean several thousand bricks from the stable block to use in the future development. This is a great example of the circular economy in action here in West London and we look forward to their new lease of life in the stadium.”