Marylebone Cricket Club (the MCC) is a cricket club founded in 1787 and based since 1814 at Lord’s cricket ground, which it owns, in St John’s Wood, London, England. The club was formerly the governing body of cricket in England and Wales and, as the sport’s legislator, held considerable global influence.
In 1788, the MCC took responsibility for the Laws of Cricket, issuing a revised version that year. Although changes to the Laws are now determined by the International Cricket Council (ICC), the copyright is still owned by MCC.
For much of the 20th century, commencing with the 1903–04 tour of Australia and ending with the 1976–77 tour of India, MCC organised international tours in which the England cricket team played Test matches. On these tours, the England team was called MCC in non-international matches. In 1993, its administrative and governance functions were transferred to the ICC and the Test and County Cricket Board (TCCB).
Categories: Hospitality, leisure and tourism