Education charity Governors for Schools are currently undertaking a recruitment drive in North and West London to address a current shortage of and need for new governors both in the local area and across the wider country by recruiting governors with business experience.
Governors for Schools provides a free outstanding recruitment & placement services for skilled and committed people to be governors and trustees of schools and academies. They work on a skills-based matching service where they find candidates with the right skills and experience to meet the needs that schools identify in order to help best equip schools to make the decisions that are right for them. This ensures that the skills employees bring to the role have maximum impact for the schools where they are appointed as governors. Governors for Schools work with employers across England to achieve this.
School governors have three core roles:
- Setting the vision and strategic direction for the school
- Holding the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school
- Ensuring financial probity and that the school is making best use of its money
This is an exciting training and development opportunity for your employees – they will make a valuable contribution to the educational outcomes of local children, while at the same time learning new skills, including contributing in a board context, which can lay the foundations for more senior roles in the future. Since the Governors for Schools service is free, this reduces your training costs.
There are several ways Governors for Schools can work with your business to recruit volunteers:
- Presentations to your staff: at a set time, or drop in, for example at lunch time
- Internal communications for your company intranet
- Workshop opportunities for your staff to learn more about the role and local need
- Holding an information stand/leafleting
E-learning modules can be accessed at: https://www.governorsforschools.org.uk/e-learning/
If you would like to discuss any element of this further either by meeting, email or phone please do not hesitate contact William.Durham@governorsforschools.org.uk
Download the volunteer brochure to find out more about the role