West London Business is looking for a Policy and Events Coordinator to support and co-ordinate the delivery of WLB’s policy and events programme.
West London Business (WLB) works to ensure West London is an amazing place to do business. North-West London is the UK’s global gateway – a pre-COVID £73 billion GVA economy underpinned by 120,000+ businesses. We are a non-profit business-led organisation with a membership including corporations such as Heathrow and PwC, key regional firms such as Fullers and Brompton Bicycle, education institutions and small businesses. We have a membership of 200+ organisations, 30,000+ supporters and 30+ events per annum, including the West London Business Awards.
The successful candidate will support and co-ordinate the delivery of WLB’s policy and events programme.
Policy development (34% of time)
Responsible for supporting the Chief Executive and Policy Working Groups in the production of briefing papers and reports to support WLB’s public policy work on:
– Transport and infrastructure
– The Built Environment
– Education and Skills
– Environment and climate change (This is coordinated by the West London Better Futures Programme Manager)
Maintain policy content and related news on the WLB website.
Support the production of written statements of the West London Business position and news releases on salient policy issues.
Maintaining an awareness of developments in key policy areas influencing the global competitiveness of business in West London.
Proactively monitor and research information sources (i.e. web sites, TV/ radio/ newspapers and publications) to identify and report on issues relevant to WLB and our members.
Responsible for keeping Policy contacts up-to-date on Salesforce CRM database.
Day-to-day line management/ liaison any volunteers supporting WLB’s policy programme.
Shaping the policy debate through events and surfacing best practice/ celebrating success through the West London Business Awards (66% of time)
Support the Chief Executive in designing and scheduling an annual events programme that reflects member-led policy/ thematic priorities.
Responsible for day-to-day coordination of delivery of the WLB Events programme (30+ events during 2022 and the West London Business Awards):
– produce invitations and tickets using Arlo (www.arlo.co) events management platform and email as appropriate
– liaise directly with potential speakers and business leaders and officials to co-ordinate attendance at all events
– produce attendees’ lists, badges and agenda for the events
– researching and drafting scripts for webcasts
– work with the Chief Executive to negotiate event contracts with primary suppliers
monitor individual event budgets, ensure invoices are raised for event sales where required and liaise with finance on chasing any debtors
– initiate and develop high quality marketing and promotional material in support of all events in a timely manner, including the Events Calendar
– draft briefing notes where required for contributors to events, including prospective sponsors
Responsible for maintaining and developing the content of the Policy and Events sections of www.westlondon.com to include a listing of all WLB events and appropriate details.
Responsible with the Chief Executive for undertaking evaluation and analysis of all WLB events and feeding improvements into future events.
Responsible for keeping Events contacts up-to-date on Salesforce CRM database.
Day-to-day line management/ liaison any volunteers supporting WLB’s events programme.
Identification of improvement to policy and events-related systems, procedures and practices.
- Chief Executive, Head of Membership and any other staff and volunteers
- Daily communications with WLB members and supporters through email, telephone, post, and face-to-face
- Contact with the WLB Board through the Chief Executive
- Outsourced marketing
- Outsourced book-keeping support
- Internal team to secure their input to policy and events scheduling
- Health and Safety and Fire Officers to ensure that steps are taken to ensure the safety and comfort of participants in events
- Design and printing companies for some policy/ events publications
- External photographers, caterers, audio-visual providers etc.
Educated to degree level (or equivalent) – Subjects such as Politics, Economics, Geography, Public administration or Policy studies.
Experience of a policy or events team either working professionally or as a volunteer.
A working knowledge and understanding of the policy and events field
Knowledge of the production and delivery of high quality external communications
Demonstrable knowledge of the North-West London geography and/or key WLB policy themes.
Knowledge of political processes
Understanding of processes for securing corporate sponsorship
Excellent written communication skills in a range of styles from drafting publications to blog articles
Good oral communication skills to work effectively with professionals at all levels
Good prioritising and self-management skills to work effectively alone, as well as part of a team
Capable of rapidly mastering new subjects and developing new policy ideas
Excellent IT skills, including Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint and Word, including mail merge
Editing and proofreading skills
Able to use Mailchimp, Arlo, Xero and/or Salesforce
Creative flair and innovative ideas to shape how we deliver inspiring events
Financially literate – ability to understand and interpret financial and statistical data
Careful, accurate, pays attention to detail
Able to work to deadlines
Willingness to learn and share skills with colleagues
Calm under pressure
Able to work on own and as part of a team
Able to communicate with people at all levels
Pleasant telephone and email manner
Energetic with a positive approach to enthuse and motivate
Salary and benefits
£26,000-29,840 per annum depending on experience.
20 days holiday, plus bank holidays – rising by one a day per year of service to max 25 days after five years service.
Employee healthcare and pension.